Tackle the Tumble
The Tumble climb is one of the most notorious cycling climbs in the South Wales valleys. At 6km in length and with a 10% incline it’s all about slow and steady to summit the Blorenge. The famous climb has featured in many an event over the years including the Tour of Britain and is a integral part of Velothon Wales each year.
Tackling the Tumble is a must on any cyclists list. Set off on a personal challenge and explore the area on two wheels and prepare yourself for a climb of a lifetime. And as it’s the Year of Adventure here in Wales why not take part in the Tumble Challenge, record your attempts at the Tumble on Strava and you could be the new King or Queen of the mountain.
To help you get your trip planned we’ve put together the perfect cycling weekend away for you, so head out and take part in the Tumble Challenge.
- Day 1 – Arrive in your cyclist friendly accommodation, with facilities for you and your bike. How about a carb loaded home cooked meal to prepare you for the next days cycling?
- Day 2 – Start the day with a full welsh breakfast. Many accommodation providers also offer a packed lunch service, to take with you on the bike. Then head out to tackle the Tumble as part of your day out on the road, and why not try and get yourself on the Tumble leader board, and record your efforts on the Tumble official 100 climbs on Strava. We’ve pulled together just some ideas of routes of various lengths for you to explore, all of them incorporating the Tumble climb.
- Day 3 - Explore the valleys, its hills (the ups and the downs) and views. The valleys are full of cycle routes to explore with many a national cycle network route running through the area. Head to sustrans.org.uk to plan your 2nd day of riding.
- Passing a café? Why not stop of for a treat on route, sample some local cakes such as Bara Brith or Welsh Cakes
- Finish the day at a country pub to re-fuel for tomorrows bike ride
Search for your cyclist friendly accommodation here and start planning your visit to the area to Tackle the Tumble.
Once you’ve tackled the Tumble why not enter the Velothon Wales event and be part of the action – for more information head to www.velothon-wales.co.uk
Tackled the Tumble? Share your attempts and pictures with us on our Facebook or Twitter pages using #thetumble